Holistic health and nutrition coach Lisa Fallon Mindel recently joined our Thursday night run club to share with us her unique approach to health and wellness. Her method, which focuses on the specific, individualized needs of each of her clients, utilizes the Integrative Nutrition Pyramid. The pyramid showcases the proper balance of what Lisa and others in her field refer to as "primary foods". Primary foods consist of more than what we consume, they include our spirituality, relationships, careers, and the amount of physical activity that we experience on a daily basis. Each of these aspects contribute to our overall well being and Lisa has made it her mission to help others find harmony among them.
That being said ACTUAL food is still a major factor within the Integrative Nutrition Pyramid. As such, Lisa has developed numerous recipes which coincide with the WHOLE Body Beautiful lifestyle she envisions for her clients. Below she shares one of her favorites: No Bake Protein Bars.
No Bake Protein Bars
Vegan, Gluten free, Raw
(Recipe adapted from wholebodybeautiful.com)
What You'll Need:
- 1.5 cups gluten-free rolled oats, blended into a flour
- ½ cup unsweetened/unflavoured vegan protein powder
- ½ cup rice crisp cereal
- A pinch of fine grain sea salt
- ½ cup natural peanut butter, almond butter, or sunflower seed butter
- ½ cup pure maple syrup ( agave, or other sweetener )
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons mini dark chocolate chips
- ½ tablespoon coconut oil
- Sprinkle with cacao nibs ( optional)
How to Make It Happen:
- Line an 8-inch square pan with a piece of parchment paper. Mix the oat flour, protein powder, rice crisp, and salt together in a large bowl.
- Add in the peanut ( or almond) butter, maple syrup, and vanilla. Stir well to combine. If the mixture is a bit dry, add a splash of non-dairy milk and mix again.
- Press into pan and roll out with a pastry roller until smooth.place on the freezer.
- Melt the chocolate chips and coconut oil together in a small pot over low heat. When half of the chips have melted, remove from heat and stir until smooth.
- After freezing the bars for about 5-10 minutes, remove from freezer and slice into squares ( you can also make these into bars for a after workout recovery snack). Drizzle with melted chocolate and freeze again until set. Store in the freezer for a week or longer in an air-tight freezer bag or container.