The best way to refuel post cardio workout is to replenish electrolytes and provide a balance of carbs and proteins. Since cardio exercise depletes our electrolytes and sugar stores from the blood and muscles, it's important to give that back to the body in moderation.
Our goal is to feed the body what's necessary to balance our blood sugars and give the cells hydration and electrolyte balance. These sugars should be in the form of complex carbs or even sugars from hearty fruits like apples, pears, or bananas. Avoid too much sugar since we only need to replenish our bodies back to balance, not over saturate the blood and muscles with sugar. This is why we also include protein in the post recovery meal or snack since protein will help rebuild the muscles post workout.
In summary remember to eat a snack or meal that has both sugars and proteins along with electrolytes for cellular hydration. Water is great but drinks like coconut water provide more potassium which will allow your body to hydrate at a cellular level. Adding lemon to your water is also another way to decrease the body's acidity post workout which will increase your recovery time.
Anna's favorite post work out snacks and meals:
- Ezekiel toast with almond butter and an apple
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt with 1/4 cup homemade granola and raisins
- Chocolate Shakeology with 1/2 frozen banana and almond milk
- Baked yam with 1 tbsp greek yogurt (tastes like sour cream) salt n pepper to taste
- Two boiled eggs, yolk removed and hummus replacing the yolk (deviled hummus egg)
For more of Anna's tips, check out her new site here!